Monday, September 9, 2013

Chicken Roasted in a Bundt Pan

This is something I came across one day on Pinterest and I knew I had to try it. You use a bundt pan to roast a whole chicken, and you even can throw some veggies in there to cook at the same time. I already had an old bundt pan I seldom use, might as well dig it out of the cupboard and give it a try. Here is how it went...


old ugly bundt pan
 Here is our old, circa 1970 something, bundt pan. This thing hasn't been used in years, yet for some reason I never got rid of it. Thankfully I didn't or else I never would have tried this. Notice I used some foil in the center to cover the open hole. I am so glad I thought of this BEFORE I started. An oven full of chicken drippings would not have been fun to clean.




raw chicken
After I rinsed the chicken I put it on its throne. I know, some people are now saying you should not clean chicken before cooking because it spreads more germs. Well, I just don't think I could do that. Anyway, I disinfect the entire area and sink whenever I use raw chicken. It only takes one bought of food poisoning to make a person extra cautious. 


yum... veggies

I chopped up about 1 and 1/2 onions, threw in a couple handfuls of baby carrots, and cut up a few potatoes, and threw them in the pan.


add some oil
I brushed a bit of olive oil over the chicken. It is looking good already, right?


season it up

This is where you can add any kind of seasoning you like. This time I chose McCormick's Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb. Put it in the oven at about 375 degrees. I let this guy cook for about 1 1/2 hours. It was close to a 6 lb. chicken. 



Looks nice!

Looks and smells nice. The only problem I am seeing, that I didn't think of before hand, was that the chicken skin around the veggies is very wet and soft. Maybe I should have cooked veggies separately.


hmmmm....
"It looks funny, mom!" That was my daughter's first comment when she saw this. Ok, well, I guess it doesn't make the best presentation. You can see the 'water line' and how there is half crispy and half (well, we will just say not crispy) chicken skin. 


chicken, veggies, and pan full of chicken juices

The veggies look nice. There are plenty of drippings if you would like to make gravy, I was not in the mood to do that. So we gave it a try.

The chicken was delicious. Very moist, and flavorful. The veggies were fantastic. This meal didn't need gravy at all. There was very little left when we finished eating. Here are everyone's comments.

Husband: It's tastes good.
Son: I like it, except for the skin. Can I have more? (I think he had 3 helpings)
Daughter: It looks funny, but tastes good. 
Me: Very good. Would I do it again? Maybe. It was easy to make, easy clean up. That is always a plus. 
Dog: Give me more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment